Being in a creative rut can really suck the color outta life. When you were born to create and make, it can get very frustrating when it's not happening. If you are making a living as a creative, it's important to have some tricks up your sleeve to get the juices flowing again....and quickly.
Here are a few tips that I have found to help me get my creative juices flowing again.
1. Walk around a craft store. For me I'm able to see things in a new way and most of the time I already have the supplies in my craft room so it's a free field trip. Craft stores are one of my happy places too, so just being in one brings new ideas back to life.
2. Go outside. Being in nature with all the colors, textures, movement, etc...is sure to bring ideas to the forefront. Just sitting there is great. Take a sketch book or some watercolors and it's even better!
3. Go to the art & craft section of your library. Grab a stack of books and start flipping, taking in all the colors, design, ideas, etc... Have a notebook or your phone close so you can take notes or pictures to remember the inspiration you've received.
4. Take a class. I love taking classes and have to sometimes restrain myself so I don't get sidetracked with a whole new medium and skill. Taking classes is a great way to get out of your head and play. Plus, being around other creative people is so much fun!
5. Look back at your previous creative projects. See how you can work off of what you've already created and go from there. You'll also be able to see years of growth and progress which can help any doubts that are stopping you and the juices from flowing.
Those are just 5 simple ideas to help you get your creative juices flowing. I hope they help as what you create serves the world in a beautiful way and I thank you for it!
I also have a 31 Day Creativity Challenge if you're up for that. Click here to get your free download.